Spaghetti with Shitake Mushrooms is a super tasty pasta dish I served with the Italian Chicken Breast dinner the other night. This is a simple dish that tastes even better reheated the next day.
**Spaghetti with Shitake Mushrooms**
- fresh shitake mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half
- spaghettie noodles, cooked al dente in water with some salt and olive oil
- 6 or more pieces of garlic, peeled and smashed
- half a large onion or one whole small onion, preferably a sweet onion, cut into slivers
- olive oil, enough to coat the pan twice, about 3 tablespoons
- salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes
- optional: 1/2 tablespoon salted butter
(1) In a hot pan (heat on high), add olive oil enough to coat the pan. Add the mushrooms, garlic and onion, all at once, into the pan. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Allow the ingredients to sit about one layer.
(2) Let the mushrooms, garlic and onion cook, untouched (not moving the pan), for 1-2 minutes, or until the bottom side looks lightly browned.
(3) Add the crushed pepper flakes, some salt and pepper to taste. Flip the pan (or mix with tongs or a spatula) to cook the other side.
(4) Add about 2-3 cups of pasta to the pan and flip, toss. At this point, if you want a richer dish, add about 1/2 tablespoon of salted butter. Toss and serve!!
The following are chronological pix:
We had it with the Omaha Steaks Italian Chicken. Superb!
Song of the moment is Placebo, "Pure Morning."