I snapped a picture at a stopsign - Park City is glowing fall.This was one of the things I made for Teacher Appreciation Day for school (kiddos!). I had two squashes left over from my assigned 'Fall Side Dish' for Jennifer's BBQ. This is an easy foolproof recipe, ideal for family-style and potlucks.
The natural taste of butternut squash is already super sweet so there is absolutely no reason for any additional sugar or maple syrup. None! (Contrary to popular recipes, I know...) Stick with olive oil, salt and pepper for extremely deliciously nutty flavor. Whenever I make this, people go crazy when they find out it is butternut squash. You will LOVE this!
**Baked Butternut Squash Chunks with Dried Cranberries**
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup or more dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove the skin, stalk and seeds.
- Cut into 1-inch pieces. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, to coat all sides.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, arrange the squash one layer, allowing space between the pieces.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the squash is browned at the edges and firm, but not raw. Remove from the oven before the pieces get too soft and mushy.
- Toss with dried cranberries and serve!
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove the skin, stalk and seeds. Use a strong knife and prepare yourself for a workout :) Careful!
2. Cut into 1-inch irregular pieces and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, enough to coat all sides. I like to cut up the butternut squash into irregular triangular pieces for texture and a "home-made" appearance.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the butternut squash is browned at the edges and firm, but not raw. Remove from the oven before the pieces get too soft and mushy. The colors will illuminate and the thinner edges will blacken into flavorful caramelized bits.
5. Toss with dried cranberries and serve! The dried cranberries add a simple burst of color and texture.
Listening to the amazing voice of Kalai right now....
Post a Comment